Frequently Asked Questions
Questions and answers about Rhino Shelf Garage Storage Shelving:
1. Why choose Rhino Shelf?
Engineering, Safety, Quality, Customer Service, Durability, Made in America, More storage space than any other system..... There are so many advantages to our garage storage system! Above all of the features mentioned before, the most important is safety. Rhino Shelf has never had a structural failure in the history of the company. We engineered this product with SAFETY in mind. You and your loved ones will be walking under this shelving - it MUST be safe. Period.
Mounting to the wall is the logical and best choice. To do this, Rhino Shelf features a diagonal support that goes UP, and not down. The goal of Rhino Shelf is to store your belongings in a place that is out-of-your-way. The diagonal support should also be UP and out of the way.
Rhino Shelf is made in the USA with superior engineering, superior customer service, and superior safety!
2. What's wrong with ceiling-hung garage storage?
3. What does BRUSHED ALUMINUM and WHITE look like side-by-side?
Whether it's the sleek appearance of white that matches every space or the "gear-head" industrial look in brushed aluminum, Rhino Shelf looks great in every garage, barn, workshop, or warehouse!
4. Are Rhino Shelf® systems designed only for garages?
No. Rhino Shelf® works great in workshops, barns, machine shops, tool sheds, warehouses, etc.. Rhino Shelf® is an option anywhere storage or organization is needed.
5. Which Rhino Shelf® model is right for my garage, workshop, etc.?
We make it very easy!
- Our Rhino Shelf Measuring Guide can give you some direction for getting started.
- The Rhino Shelf Design Team is available to help you. Fill out the Form. They will take the information that you provide about your garage and create a 3-D sketch of your garage with Rhino Shelf virtually installed. The designers are happy to make revisions and changes. They will also help with the ordering process.
- If you have specific questions about your setup or anything related to measuring for Rhino Shelf, call us at (919) 331-0204. A REAL person will answer your call (or call you back if your call is received during non-business hours). We would also be happy to arrange a FaceTime, Skype, or Google Duo video call. Please call to set up an appointment.
6. What are the shelf dimensions?
- Depth (front to back) - 33 and 1/2 inches
- Height (bottom of the shelf to top of diagonal assembly) - 25 and 1/2 inches, (from top of shelf decking to top of diagonal assembly) - 24"
- Length: each section is approximately 4 feet (depends on stud placement).
- Depth (front to back) - 20 inches
- Height (shelf to top of diagonal assembly) - 12 and 1/2 inches (from top of shelf decking to top of diagonal assembly) - 11"
- Length: each section is approximately 4' (depends on stud placement).
Corner Quickstart Kit:
Same as Rhino Shelf®.
The Rhino Combo is a Rhino Shelf® AND a RhinoMini in one convenient package.
7. Is there a specific height requirement for the Rhino Shelf®?
Height is determined by your ceiling and your needs. In a typical scenario, we recommend 84 inches as the height at which Rhino Shelf should be installed. This height will clear most SUVs, vans, or large vehicles. 84 inches provides adequate space for cabinets, refrigerators, etc.. Also, 84 inches provides enough space for a person of average height to walk beneath the shelving, or to hang items such as bicycles, ladders, sporting equipment, gardening tools, etc.. This height will not conflict with opening vehicle doors in most cases. However, the installation height of your Rhino Shelf is fully customizable to your specific needs and wants.
For example: In low-ceiling structures, consider a lower height.
*Note: If items are going to be hung underneath the shelves, allow adequate space for those items.
Rhino Shelf Kits are also a great storage option for over the garage door when space over the garage door track allows. At least 25 and 1/2 inches are needed.
8. What is included in my Rhino Shelf® Universal Kit?
Universal Kits contain:
- All assemblies, which are pre-assembled for you. You may choose a Powder- Coated White finish or a Brushed Aluminum finish. All hardware (screws, nuts & bolts, and 3" lag bolts) are also included.
- Everything is wrapped and labelled clearly for installation.
- A pictorial installation QuickStart guide, Lifetime Warranty certificate, safety tips, and lumber requirements.
*Please note that lumber is NOT included - more details in FAQ #9.
9. Lumber is not included? Why?
There are several great reasons that we do not ship lumber to our customers. Here are a few:
1. The cost to ship a single 2x4x96 board to most places in the United States exceeds $15. The price of that board at your local home improvement store fluctuates, but is most often around $4.00 (excluding Covid fluctuations, typical pine board that is 8-ft long). Rhino Shelf would then need to charge our customers $19.00 to send a single board and you may need several. Our customers are too smart to pay that price, no one should pay that price, and we think too highly of our customers to charge that ridiculous amount.
2. Rhino Shelf was designed and engineered to attach to the studs in your wall, wherever they may be. This precise measurement will almost never be EXACTLY 48 inches. 48 and 3/4 inches - 47 and 5/8 inches... Any inconsistencies in stud placement could make your measurement slightly longer or shorter than 48 inches. So, if we were to ship a 48" board, it's almost guaranteed to be the wrong length and it may be too short, thus wasting that board. Stud placement varies in every single structure.
3. We recommend 2x4s, but many of our customers use 2x6s, 2x12s, etc. which is perfectly fine. Sending the 2x4s might encourage a homeowner to use them when they really wanted a different lumber size.
4. Many of our customers choose a lumber species based on their preferences. If we shipped a Pine board, the homeowner might have preferred Fir. If we chose Spruce, the homeowner may want Cedar. All of these work well with Rhino Shelf, so our customers should choose the species of wood that they prefer.
5. Heavy lumber is easily damaged in shipping. We manufacture the best garage storage shelving ever made. It is what we do best. We wrap each Rhino Shelf assembly carefully and package everything well for transportation. We have a reputation for our product arriving quickly and well-packaged.
Imagine shipping a bundle of lumber. The costs were detailed earlier, but add to them the cost of shipping materials. Imagine the disappointment of a customer when a bundle of lumber arrives damaged by the carrier.
All of these reasons, and many more, encouraged us to not include the lumber. It's a common-sense move that saves the customer money, allows for customer preferences, and avoids the high shipping costs that neither benefit the customer nor our company.
*Because you will need to purchase lumber to complete your installation, we offer a 10% discount on our website's DIY kits to help with the cost of the lumber!*
10. Since lumber is not included, how many 2x4x96 boards will I need?
For the Rhino Shelf, the Corner Quickstart Kit, and the top shelf of the Rhino Combo:
(# of feet of Rhino Shelf® purchased) divided by (4), then multiply by (2.5). Round any decimals or fractions up to the nearest whole board.
Example: (20 feet of Rhino Shelf®) divided by (4) = 5, then multiplied by (2.5) = 12.5. Rounded up is 13. 13 boards are required to complete a 20' Rhino installation.
For the RhinoMini and the bottom shelf of the Rhino Combo:
(# of feet of RhinoMini purchased) divided by (4), then multiply by (1.5). Round decimals or fractions up to the nearest whole board.
Example: (20 feet of RhinoMini) divided by (4) = 5, then multiplied by (1.5) = 7.5. Rounded up to 8. 8 boards are required to complete a 20' RhinoMini installation.
For your convenience, a chart with this information is included in each shipment.
11. What is the weight limit / capacity of the Rhino Shelf® family of products?
Each 4' section of ANY Rhino Universal Kit will support 650 lbs. easily. To ensure the maximum amount of strength, please follow the installation instructions that are included in each kit. We have been installing and selling Rhino Shelf® for more than 18 years and there has never been a structural failure.
12. Why are 2x4 boards recommended for the Rhino Shelf system?
1. Strength - If the 2x4s are used as suggested in a properly-installed Rhino Shelf system, load deflection (sagging) is avoided.
2. Versatility - Would you like to hang a bicycle, fishing rods, and/or a clothes rod beneath your Rhino Shelf? Numerous hooks, straps, and other hardware are available for very affordable prices. Visit the screw hook aisle at your local home improvement store for a variety of affordable options. No special, costly "add-ons" are needed.
3. Affordability - 2x4s are strong material for the money and you can cut them to fit. See our photo gallery for more information and design ideas.
13. Can Rhino Shelf be attached to concrete or cinder block walls?
Yes. Instead of using the included 3-inch stainless steel lag bolts to secure the assemblies, use Tapcon screws in their place. In most cases, we recommend TapCons that are 1/4 inch in diameter with 1 and 1/4 inch in length. For more details on using Tapcon screws, call Rhino Shelf Customer Service (919) 331-0204. We have excellent tips on how to make installations in concrete easy and solid.
14. Can Rhino Shelf® be installed in metal or aluminum studs?
No. We do not recommend Rhino Shelf systems for these structures. For specific questions/situations, call Rhino Shelf® Customer Service (919) 331-0204.
15. Can the diagonal support bracket be attached beneath the shelf instead of above?
Rhino Shelf was designed, engineered, and tested with the diagonal support reaching upward. Details about that design choice are discussed in FAQ #1. In short, the diagonal supports above the shelf frees spaces underneath for walking and/or hanging items. The supports can also assist with keeping stacked items, such as totes from teetering over.
Occasionally, we have heard from customers that have inverted Rhino Shelf assemblies to accomplish their specific goals. Rhino Shelf does not condone, encourage, or warrant such a use of the product.
16. How are Rhino Shelf® products attached to the wall?
Rhino Shelf is a wall-mounted design. Each assembly is attached to the center of the stud using 4 stainless steel, high-quality lag bolts that are 3 inches in length. In most home construction, studs are placed 16" on center with most others being 24" on center. Therefore, Rhino Shelf® assemblies are attached every 3rd stud (or approximately 48") making 4-ft sections. Our pictorial QuickStart installation guide, included with each DIY kit, will assist in locating the center of the stud for proper assembly placement. The lag bolts used by Rhino Shelf are 3 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter. This does not compromise the structural integrity of your home and, in fact, makes your walls stronger.
17. What if the studs in my wall do not match 48" spacing?
That is completely fine and, in fact, Rhino Shelf was designed with variations in mind. Stud placement is rarely EXACTLY 48". Any distance of less than 54 inches is acceptable. We do not recommend spanning sections of greater than 54 inches.
18. How do I locate the center of my studs and why is that important?
Specific details are included in every DIY kit to assist with finding the stud and then the center of
19. What skills and tools are required to install Rhino Shelf® products?
Minimal handyman skills are needed. Basic tools are needed: tape measure, stud finder, 4' level, power drill, drill bits (1/8", 3/16", and 1/4"), hex-head drive sockets (1/4", 7/16", and 1/2"), wrench (1/2"), socket (1/2"), a pencil, safety glasses, and wood saw.
20. How are orders shipped?
Orders are shipped within 24 hours in most cases (Monday-Friday, business days) of receiving the order. Weekend orders are processed on Monday. Orders are shipped via UPS Ground or FedEx Ground and picked up daily from our North Carolina facility. Customers receive an order confirmation, shipping confirmation, and tracking information. Orders shipped to the continental US are shipped free unless the customer needs special handling, Next Day, or 2nd Day service. Delivery times are dependent upon the shipping address. Customers in Alaska and Hawaii should call Customer Service for special pricing to help with shipping costs. International shipping is available: Call (919) 331-0204 for details.
Other subjects are covered on our Shipping and Returns page.
21. How quickly are orders processed and shipped?
Orders are shipped within 24 hours in most cases (Monday-Friday, business days) of receiving the order. Weekend orders are processed on Monday.
22. What items can be attached or hung to the cross members under the Rhino Shelf® system?
Bicycles seem to be the most common "get-off-the-floor" item. They can be hung horizontally or vertically. Ladders, wheel barrows, golf clubs, fishing rods, backpacks, book bags, hunting packs, camping gear, kayaks and canoes, surf boards, boogie boards, beach chairs, baskets for small items, and corn hole boards are only a small sample of things that our amazing customers have placed under our shelves. If you have any other great ideas, please share your pictures with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest.
23. Are discounts available?
Yes. Save 10% when you use code "ORGANIZED" at checkout. Special discounts are offered occasionally for special events or holidays. Seasonal discounts are highlighted on the Home Page and Catalog Page when applicable.
24. What payment methods are accepted?
Rhino Shelf accepts all major credit cards - Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Diner's Club. We also accept PayPal, Elo, Apple Pay, and Amazon Pay. Payments are processed through our secure site and all credit card security processing guidelines are satisfied.
Rhino Shelf also offers payment plans through PayPal and Shop Pay. Interest free plans from 4 to 6 months are available during checkout.
25. What privacy measures does Rhino Shelf® provide for its customers?
A customer's personal information (such as addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses) are maintained in a secure database. Rhino Shelf will never sell personal information collected from its internet sites. We may share your personal information with third parties, like UPS or FedEx shipping for example, that we hire to perform support services for us. These third parties are required to use the personal information that we share with them ONLY to perform services on our behalf and to treat your personal information as strictly confidential.
Security of Personal Information -
Your personal information will generally be stored in Rhino Shelf®'s databases or databases maintained by our service providers. Rhino Shelf maintains reasonable safeguards to protect the confidentiality, security and integrity of your personal information. We use secure socket layer (SSL) technology to transfer personal information over the Internet. Although we use security measures to help protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure, misuse or alteration, as is the case with all computer networks linked to the Internet, we cannot guarantee the security of information provided over the Internet and will not be responsible for breaches of security beyond our reasonable control.
Links to Third Party Internet Sites - Rhino Shelf®'s Internet Sites may contain links to Internet sites that are not operated by Rhino Shelf®. These links are provided as a service and so not imply any endorsement of the activities or content of these sites, nor any association with their operators.
Customer Payment Information - Payments are accepted through our merchant services who comply with federal security guidelines. We do not save your financial information (credit card numbers, security codes, etc.) locally.
26. Does Rhino Shelf® offer a warranty?
Yes - A Limited Lifetime Warranty is available on all Rhino Shelf products. Please visit our Warranty Page for details.
27. Does Rhino Shelf® offer a satisfaction guarantee?
Yes. Please visit our Guarantee Page for details.
28. What if the Rhino Shelf® that I purchased is lost or damaged during shipping?
If a product is lost or damaged in transit, please note that the damage/loss in the delivery receipt and obtain an inspection report for the damage from the carrier immediately. If product damage was concealed damage (not visible until the package was opened), report such damage within 5 business days from the date received. Contact Rhino Shelf Customer Service for assistance (919) 331-0204 to report all damages or losses.
29. What is Rhino Shelf®'s Return Policy?
For returns, call Rhino Shelf Customer Service (919) 331-0204 for a Return Authorization prior to returning any product. Returns must be completed within 30 days from the date of purchase. Rhino Shelf will provide a merchandise credit, refund, or an equal exchange for authorized returns. Shipping will be prepaid; CODs are not accepted. Custom orders are not returnable. Restocking charges up to 20% plus freight charges may apply to returns not adhering to the return policy.
30. Is Rhino Shelf® really Made in America?
Yes - 100% Made in America! Read our blog about the importance of "Made in America" here.